Purple Angel, Montes, Colchagua
- Petit Verdot,Carmenére (Cabernet Gernischt)
- A concentrated and complex palate of blackberries and redcurrants with warm, sweet spices and mocha
- Rapel Valley
- Alcohol %:
- Bottle Size:
- Wine Code:
- Other Info:
- Under the leadership of Aurelio Montes, Vina Montes started in 1987 with an annual production of about 3,000 12-bottle cases. The company was described as a "boutique winery", making small quantities of high quality wine. "The adventure of Montes Wines began almost as a retirement project for us. We wanted a small boutique winery to amuse ourselves once we retired for good, which would allow us to produce wines for international markets", Aurelio points out.
But in a matter of years, the 3,000 cases became more than 650,000. Chile was not producing what the consumers wanted to drink: high quality wines - and Chilean wines were becoming more desirable internationally. And so the winery grew and it's wines became widely known so that now Vina Montes is an internationally known and respected name in the world of wine. Based in Colchagua, one of the Chilean wine valleys with the most international prestige, the winery is located in the central zone of Chile, less than two hours driving from its capital, Santiago. The Montes vineyards are located in one of the best terroirs in the area, Apalta. Its unique characteristics and location allow the vines mild exposure to the sun which contributes to a slow and more complete maturation of the grapes. In the same valley, between the Coastal Range and the sea, the company has their Marchigüe vineyards, not far from the cooling influences of the Pacific Ocean (25 km away), where their red grapes mature slowly under the influence of somewhat colder temperatures.
Montes make four ranges of wines they call the Icon wines. These are the best wines that they produe and out of that four, The Purple Angel stands out as their best wine, so it is the best of the best! The vineyards selected for this 'Purple Angel' Carménère are located in the Marchigüe and Apalta sectors of the Colchagua Valley.
"Made from 92% Carmenère, 8% Petit Verdot, this is probably my all time favourite wine! It needs at least 10 years aging, but it certainly is worth it. Superbly crafted, the Purple Angel is part of the very top 'Icon' series of classic wines that Montes produce and boy, can't you tell that when you experience it. There's strong flint and cordite minerality on the nose with a touch of new oak, and when you get to the palate - well you're in heaven. You'll experience multiple, seemingly endless layers of deeply complex fruit - highly aromatic fruit that develops seriously on the palate into an amazingly long finish, the like of which I have only ever experienced in 2nd or 1st growth mature Bordeaux. And there's so much fruit - and it's mainly Carmenère, one of my favourite grape varieties, tempered by the excellent Petit Verdot. I could go on... Absolutely superb wine - BUT the bottle needs to be at least 10 years old and it really helps if you decant it at least four times before drinking it. For the ultimate sensual experience, I recommend Riedel Veritas Bordeaux glasses, or any good glass of that size and shape" - Theo Sloot, The Oxford Wine Company.
- Two of the most renowned wine critics worldwide, James Suckling and Natalie McLean, recognize Purple Angel as a phenomenal wine. James Suckling, the former editor of the magazine Wine Spectator and Natalie McLean, wine writer and winner of World's Best Drink Writer, are amazed by the Purple Angel and have both rated it with one of the highest scores received by a wine in the world:
"99 points (out of 100) - the amazing Purple Angel has great body, adjusted and concentrated with an extraordinary texture and consistency, fantastic tannins, fine, silky and refined, I love its energy and intensity. I cannot wait to drink it again" - James Suckling
"99 points (out of 100) - there is a reason for this Chilean wine to become a cult one, Purple Angel will make you feel as if you have gone to heaven in a cloud of sensory pleasure" - Natalie McLean
- The Purple Angel has won too many awards to list here, but you can learn more about what it has won on the Vina Montes website: www.monteswines.com/en
There are no currently no reviews for this product.
You must be registered and logged in as a customer to add a review
- Food match:
Absolutely brilliant with medium rare roast beef. Also good with venison, or any other meat which is rich enough to stand up to this monster of a wine.
- Food recipe: