The Delheim Estate is based high up on the Southwestrn slopes of the Simonsberg Mountains. In 1699 it was home to a cannon and a Dutch East India Company servant, whop would fire that cannon upon seeing enemy ships sailing into the harbour below, thus calling the locals to arms. Jan Andries recognised the potential of the site for grapes and between 1813 and 1857 bought up patches of land to form a complete unit. n 1903 the then owners Messrs van der Byl and the Porters sub-divided the farm latitudinally. In 1938 Hans Otto Hoheisen purchased the 200 ha upper portion and laid the foundations for what would become Delheim. In 1944 a large but fairly basic cellar was constructed. It included a basket press, continuous press, hand pumps and 25 concrete storage tanks. Back then 3000 bottles could be filled per day. Today that rate is 15000! Today Delheim are one of South Africa's top producers.
The Delheim Estate is based high up on the Southwestrn slopes of the Simonsberg Mountains. This gives them a challenging but vital environment for producing high quality grapes. There is plenty of wind to cool the grapes and the cool evenings allows the grapes to retain key acidity and flavour compounds.
Delheim has one of the longest histories of all the South African wineries and to this day continues to innovate whilst remaining true to their heritage.
The Gewurztraminer and Pinotage are truly exceptional wines.