Gonzalez Byass, Matusalem 30 Year Old VORS Dolce Oloroso 37.5cl
- Palomino Fino,Pedro Ximinez
- Absorbingly complex with notes of raisins, figs, orange peel and spice..
- Alcohol %:
- Bottle Size:
- Wine Code:
- Other Info:
- The seed that grew into Gonzalez Byass was planted in 1835 by Manuel María Gonzalez Angel, with Robert Blake Byass - his agent in England - only joining the firm two decades later. The two families remained in partnership through much of the 20th Century and the business has grown to be one of Sherry's most recognisable and important names. In 1988 the Gonzalez family bought out the Blass family, taking sole control of the business. The business is based in some fine buildings in Jerez, including one designed by Eiffel. This is a must-see for any Sherry tourist, as is popping inside to see El Cristo (a Sherry butt holding in excess of 157000 litres), which was purchased for the visit of Queen Isabella II in 1862. This gigantic butt is accompanied by twelve 6000 litre butts, representing the twelve apostles, which surround El Cristo, except for Judas, which is used to store vinegar! Today, the company's cellars hold over 45 million litres of Sherry and Brandy de Jerez.
Produced in very small quantities, Matusalem is made by enrichment of a dry Oloroso sherry with 25% Pedro Ximenez, followed by additional ageing in its own solera. Rich and opulent in feel but with well moderated sweetness. Absorbingly complex, both nose and palate are awash with notes of raisins, figs, candied orange peel and pudding spices.
- "Gorgeous, very old, rare sticky from González Byass, with dazzling, figgy, toasted walnut and black moscatel raisin spice." - Jane MacQuitty, The Times
- Gold Medal Winner International Wine Challenge 2012, Gold Medal Best in Class International Wine & Spirit Competition 2009
There are no currently no reviews for this product.
You must be registered and logged in as a customer to add a review
- Food match:
The fried fruit character of this Oloroso makes it a lovely partner for a cheese board.
- Food recipe: